“We fear things in proportion to our ignorance of them.” - Livy
Musings - the blog that's not a blog. Random thoughts on the college process and issues facing high education from Julia.
The College Process - this was the original area of my classroom resource area. It was designed to give guidance counselors with limited budgets tools for their guidance website that students could use to work their way through a well-informed college process.
- Before You Begin
- College Search
- Narrowing the Field
- Major Considerations
- Applying Online
- College Essay
- Financial Aid
- Gap Year/PG Year
- Transition to College
- After Graduation
School Counselors - resources for all counselors helping students through the college process.
- Counselor Toolkits and Resources
- State Career/College Planning Websites
- School Counseling Degree Programs/Counselor College Counseling Education/Credentialing/Professional Development
- Financial Aid - note this area differs from the area in The College Process
- Teaching Financial Literacy - I’ve been advocating this for over ten years…
- Fly-In Programs
- Gap Year Options
- Maps for Your Office Wall
- Accredited Online Study Options
- Over-parenting and Stress
- PG Year Options
- Reciprocity and Articulation Agreements
- Software Options
- Study Abroad
- Therapeutic Schools and Programs
- Tours for Counselors
Independent Counselors - additional counseling resources for independent counselors.
- Client Management Software
- Professional Organizations/Professional Development
- Specialized Search Tools
- Tours for Independents
International Counselors - additional counseling resources for international counselors.
- Financial Aid for International Students
- Online Student Fairs
- Organizations/Professional Development
- Resource Websites for International Students
Adult, Military & Transfer - additional resources for military, adult, and transfer advisors.
- Life Skills
Access Counselors - access programs and resources for access counselors.
- Access Initiatives
- Access Programs
- Financial Aid
Admission Side - while the vast majority of my students are on the secondary side, I occasionally have students from the admission side in my classes, so I’ve begun collecting resources for the college side, too.
- Assessing Foreign Transcripts
- Enrollment Management/Recruitment Services and Resources
- Graduate Programs
- Plagiarism Detection
- Professional Development/Organizations
- Scheduling/Event Management
Population-Specific - resources for specific populations.
- DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals)
- Early Awareness
- Equestrian (in a past life, I taught hunt seat equitation and studied dressage for ten years, so I have to include this)
- First Generation
- Foreign Language Speakers
- Foster Youth
- Low Income
- Native American
- Non-US Citizen
- Physically Disabled
- Religiously Affiliated
- Single Parents
Career-Specific - new content area. Suggestions welcome.
- Business and Accounting
- Information Technology
- Music Therapy
- Social Work
- Sports Medicine
Research - a work in progress; expect monthly updates.
- Research Resources
- Regularly Published Reports
The Reading Room - a work in progress. I have to say it’s hard work to try to decide which books in my library to include here.
- Books for the Secondary Side
- College Guides
- Books for the College Side
- Books on Financial Aid
- Newsfeeds, Trade Papers and Magazines
Former Students - find a link to the CAPClass Yahoo Group home page here.